Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eating Cookies and Blogging... Productive!

Going back to the last entry for a second, one of the interns at our office told me that if you order a decaf with several shots, the shots will be decaf. I nodded, but I refuse to believe. He also told me that when he worked in catering they would tell people that the coffee was decaf when it was not... so, maybe not the best source for coffee veracity. And the barista at Insomnia on Beverly told me that there's no such thing as decaf (he was kind of a snob). Bottom line: If you, like me, are not a caffeine person, maybe just stay away from coffee. That's what I've been doing lately.

Both of my sisters are now blogging on Blogspot, so I feel a little bit of an obligation to do a post here. I have been blogging somewhat faithfully on Xanga because at least there I know that a few people with whom I'm acquainted in real life actually read it. But as long as I'm here reading los blogs de mis hermanas (one of those hermanas is in Uruguay right now, hence the poco de espanol), why not drop a line?

It's a new season at work (it's literally summer, and in TV-speak we're working on season four), which means new people and readjusting to being at the office all day. Right now I'm engaging in a wonderful (read: terrible) new afternoon tradition of eating two JoJos with milk. A JoJo is a Trader Joe's version of an Oreo, but I don't really believe that they're so much healthier. I make them "healthier" by removing the white innards. You may think, "Two JoJos and milk is a respectable snack." But I'm noshing all day, so everything adds up.

Cole and I just got our very own P-Touch Labelmaker, and Cole is labeling everything he can get his hands on. It's kind of hilarious to me.

My laundry room is closed from 9pm to 7am, which is kind of a problem for me because I never get home from work in time to do my laundry. This morning I woke up at 7am, and the laundry facilities were surprisingly kind of hopping (luckily I got there first). A couple of weeks ago I complained to my mom that my laundry never smells particularly good when I use my apartment complex's machines. She sent me back to LA with her Bounce dryer sheets, hoping to remedy my problem. Well, those dryer sheets are radioactive or something, because even though she sealed them in three layers of plastic within a brown bag, they smelled REALLY strong. All day I have been eating food and thinking, "This food tastes a little weird," and I just realized that it's the smell of the Bounce sheets on my hand. I tried a real fig-in-the-raw for the first time and thought, "This fig tastes like soap." No, it tastes like LAUNDRY. And I have definitely washed my hands several times today. Sadly, my laundry didn't come out smelling particularly good. But my food is woodland fresh or whatever the sheets are supposed to smell like.

What else is new? Hmm... I am looking for a new roommate. That's a drag. I am decorating my room with cute stuff from Etsy. That's draining my bank account. But it's fun. Speaking of drained things, I subscribed to HBO just to watch True Blood. Now I can see it on the East Coast feed! Three hours early is a lot when you're as anxious to see the next new episode as I am. My midweek TV obsession is So You Think You Can Dance, which is on tonight. Can't wait. I also can't believe it's only Wednesday. My mind has been telling me it's Friday since I woke up on Tuesday.

Despite my grotesque amounts of TV-watching, I am trying to write a novel. Or at least, that's what I think it's going to turn out to be. I just need to actually finish it. I always think of the best scenes when I'm driving, then get to work and open the Word doc and write, as a shorthand, "They go dancing." Terrible work ethic. Slowly but surely, though, I will get through it. I'm sick of opening up a document three years later and going, this story ain't bad, why didn't I finish it? I just want to get through it, if nothing else then as an exercise in finishing a long story. It will go toward my 10,000 hours (I just read "Outliers").

I'm reading Stephen King's "On Writing" right now, which some writing-related person once recommended to me (I can't remember who). It's nice to hear that even the most successful writers were once getting rejected. Keep trying, everybody! Just keep on trucking.

Good day to you all! (aka the zero people who read this)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That radioactive scent is Aloe and White Lilac. Funny enough, I have a huge open box of them in the laundry room and they don't have any odor at all. I'm constantly tossing them in the dryer and my hands never smell from them.

The nonsense word I have to type for word verification to leave this message is...nonsensical.